Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It’s far too long for even eternal love to last


Cantor’s diagonalization argument for uncountability > infinity: The real numbers is an extraordinarily special set. If one were to graph the real numbers on a line, any segment on that line contains the same cardinality of points as does the whole line itself.
It’s far too long for me to plan for any future
It’s far too long for my constrained imagination
It’s far too long to engage simple emptiness
It’s far too long for even eternal love to last

There’s just too much time after this blue-green-white earth is gone
There’s just too much time when my memories are thinned beyond recognition
There’s just too much time to be totally senseless, thinking nothing
There’s just too much time to be far less than alone

It’s way too much to even outline
It’s way too much to hold inside
It’s way too much to get a grip on
It’s way too much and still, there’s so much more

I have extra time that I did not even have to save
I have extra time unfolding like a burden I cannot hope to lift
I have extra time growing longer and more overwhelming
I have extra time moving ever faster beyond my shrinking comprehension

I have nothing to do and no way to get it done
I have nothing to do and all the time in the universe to do it
I have nothing to do then and do not even know it
I have nothing to do and cannot get over it

I don’t have to work anymore or ever again
I don’t have to work because there are no workdays
I don’t have to work and I have no boss
I don’t have to work because I flow like water

Freedom at last without any more choices to be made
Freedom at last chained in molecular compounds
Freedom at last in the vast black and near-vacuum
Freedom at last at so close to absolute zero

I’d be happy to live in eternal sorrow
I’d be able to get by with constant pain
I’d be alright with poverty and suffering
I’d be better off than unconscious in that empty and unknowable void

No comments:

Post a Comment